Monday, February 28, 2011

Holding Steady

New life can have its challenges.  Some days feel dark and cloudy to me.  Often the challenges come in the form of anxiety and discomfort--old messages that need to make noise to get my attention.  They need to make noise because this is their final hearing.  They recognize the new life that is happening, and they have been called forward to transition out of my life.  In the midst of this process the voices feel overwhelming, until a moment comes when I once again have the experience of feeling affirmed in my new life.  It's a give and take--a push and pull.  I move forward.  I acknowledge resistance.  I continue to move forward.  Staying on track with true life/true self is my task.
"This being human is a guest house.  
Every morning a new arrival.
A joy, a depression, a meanness,
some momentary awareness comes
as an unexpected visitor
Welcome and entertain them all
Even if they're a crowd of sorrows,
who violently sweep your house 
empty of its furniture.
Still treat each guest honorably,
He [she] may be clearing you out 
for some new delight.
The dark thought, the shame, the malice,
meet them at the door laughing,
and invite them in.
Be grateful for whoever comes,
because each has been sent 
as a guide from beyond."
--Jelaluddin Rumi         

No comments: