Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Warmth and Kindness

In the Buddhist tradition there is a meditation for lovingkindness in which you hold yourself in your own awareness with love.  In our western culture, this is a challenging exercise.  An essential element of this loving attention is the act of forgiveness.  One way I feel I have neglected to practice this is in shining that compassion on myself.  I am aware that I have needed to offer forgiveness to myself for those decisions I've made in my life that were not in my best interest.  Because I had not taken the time to nurture myself--to hold myself in loving awareness--I was not connected with my own Source.  In those times I made decisions that kept me from living my true life and caring for myself in the best way.  Today I hold myself in that loving space, and I release those moments of carelessness.
"The time has come to turn your heart 
Into a temple of fire.
Your essence is gold hidden in dust.
To reveal its splendor 
You need to burn in the fire of Love."
                              --Jelaluddin Rumi     

No comments: